Qsymia is an extended-release capsule which includes the combination of peppermint and topiramate. Phentermine act as an appetite suppressant same as of amphetamine while topiramate also known as anticonvulsant is a seizure medication. Qsymia is usually prescribed by the doctors with regular exercise and ideal healthy diet. It is generally used to treat the person suffering from obesity or have overweight. It also help sometimes in curing the obesity related problem such as high cholesterol, diabetes or high blood pressure. But still keep using your other medication related to above problems.
Something you need to know before taking the medication
· Always avoid alcohol while using the Qsymia
- Do not Take Qsymia if you are pregnant or at the stage of breastfeeding.
- Avoid this medication if you are allergic to topiramate (topamax) or phentermine (suprenza, Adipex-P, T-diet)
- Avoid it’s usage if you have used or using any MAO inhibitor such as phelenzine(nardil),furazolidone (Furoxone), selegiline (Eldepryl, Emsam, Zelapar),isocarboxazid (Marplan), tranylcypromine (Parnate) or rasagiline (Azilect) in the last 15 days.
- Phentermine should only be taken on prescription as it is habit forming and not at all recommended to the person who have history of drug addict.
- You may have seizures if you directly stops qsymia usage, try to use it less and less amount before completely using it.
Tell your doctor if you have any history of heart disease, lung disease, high blood pressure, low blood level of potassium or if you have any stroke or attack in past 6 months.
qsymia and alcohol
You should not use the qsymia if you are using alcohol
- Alcohol dosen’t really match-up with the qysmia because of the root cause phentermine. There are various ways through which alcohol effects the weight loss.
- In body, alcohol reduces harmony testosterone level what changes cause fluid loss,tiredness and nausea , hence, it become difficult to exercise or workout everyday
- Alcohol have many calories as it include sugars in large amount which get converted into fat ,this increasing the weight of a person, you should always avoid alcohol
- Alcohol also activates the hunger message to brain, due to which body carves for food and end up eating unhealthy food.
- It also act as depressants due to which it depresses many of the function of liver and limits the body’s capabilities to burn calories and build up the muscles.
- Alcohol may also affects the central nervous system which have a major role in appetite suppressant. It also have been mentioned in studies that ethanol and methamphetamine increase the heart rate by 24 beats/minute which could be dangerous for body.
The combined use of appetite suppressant which effect the central nervous system and alcohol should be avoided especially with a patient suffering from cardiovascular disease. Patient should be mentally alert , should avoid any dangerous activities and should have the knowledge about how alcohol affect them. So that they can tell their physician whenever they notice something unusual happening with their body.
So if you are serious about weight loss, you should stop consuming alcohol while taking the qsymia medication. This will help you gaining positive results.